Life Group: Oct 27 – Nov 2/2019
Text: 2 Corinthians 11:1 – 15
Welcome and Icebreaker: Describe the wackiest teacher you had in school?
Main Idea: False teachers seek to persuade believers to embrace a false Jesus, a counterfeit spirit and a defective Gospel.
1. As you read this passage are there any words or phrases that jump out at you that you would like to explore further? Are there any initial questions you have after reading this passage?
2. Is jealousy a good or a bad emotion? Why does God get jealous? What would arouse the jealousy of God? Why is Paul jealous for the Corinthian believers (cf., 11:1, 2; Num 25:11 – 13)?
3. Describe the two stage marriage in ancient Jewish tradition (i.e. betrothal and marriage)? What was the role of the father during the betrothal stage of the marriage? How does the metaphor of betrothal relate to Paul’s jealousy and spiritual adultery?
4. Why is deception so dangerous for a believer? What might be some of the strategies the evil one uses to deceive the Christian? What are some ways Christians can prevent deception?
5. Interact with the following statement: “the meaning of the text of Scripture does not change over time.” What dangers might we face if we change the original meaning of the text of Scripture?
6. Give examples of a false (unbiblical) Jesus. What does Paul mean by a different spirit? Do you have any examples of a different Gospel? What is the Gospel to you? Why would a church tolerate leaders who present another Jesus, display a different spirit or distort the Gospel message?
7. In what sense does Satan disguise himself as an angel of light today?
8. Is there anything in this passage that the Lord has impressed on your heart that you would like to apply in your life? How can we pray?
Pray for One Another.